Monday 9 July 2012

Nursery Series - 1.Introduction and Print tutorial

I am really excited to share with you the first in a series (not sure how many tutorials I will have yet) of posts where I will be sharing the crafts and collections I have been making for our arrival. Any new mam will probably know that when you don't know the gender of your baby this can be quite interesting and a little testing at times. Therefore, after each tutorial I will be suggesting a boy/girl adaptation to include those that do know their child's gender but to also help me store ideas in case I want to change things around!

When I first started thinking about documenting this series I knew that the first one I wanted to share would be quite personal. I currently call Andy my Sunshine and it felt only fitting to us that our child have some of the nursery rhyme wording on the wall. I really don't want to do anything permanent to the walls because I know how indecisive I am at the moment!

So I hope you will enjoy seeing our nursery evolve as we countdown the final 9 weeks to our due date.....

You are my sunshine print


Firstly I started with a plain canvas and painted the entire background with acrylic paint in yellow. I noticed that its worth trying to hold this into the light as you are painting to make sure you have an even coverage. This won't matter too much when its hanging on the wall but it just makes sure you have a good foundation to work with. 

I used my mum's cuttle bug to cut out the letters, I used a variety of fonts and sizes just to keep things interesting. 


I played around with positioning for a little while before I decided on something I liked. I used PVA to stick the letters in place and then left it to dry so they didn't slide down the canvas. 


 

Once I have made all of the bits I am planning on making I will arrange them on the floor before putting any holes in the walls!!







1 comment: